Wednesday, March 01, 2006

It's Ash Wednesday! Uffda!

I'm almost to Ash Wednesday evening, now, and things aren't going so great for my sterling resolution. I have probably let loose with a cuss-word at least twenty times. This is going to be a tougher haul for me than I thought.

I'm going to try substituting really bad words with an epithet used by members of my family (at least, the Norwegian side) for centuries. Uffda! It's a good, old Norse word, and as far as I know, it seems to mean something very benign -- basically along the lines of "Well, then!" So it doesn't even mean anything dirty in Norse!

Let's try it out:

UffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffdaUffda!

There, I feel better already!

Now if I could only get rid of this craving for lingonberry jam on a butter-soaked Eggo waffle topped with whipped cream.

Somebody make it stop!!!

On that note, I'm off to get ashes smeared on my forehead. "Remember, dust thou art, and to dust thou shalt return."

Now I REALLY feel better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home