Friday, May 05, 2006

Sometimes I Like Being Wrong

Suns win! Suns win! Suns win!!!

Even after the league found an excuse to suspend Raja Bell from Game Six (for a "flagrant" foul supposedly committed in Game Five -- a foul no more "flagrant, if you look at the tape, than most of what constitutes Laker defense), the Suns still managed to win the game in overtime. There will be a seventh game, after all, in front of the long-suffering Suns' fans.

Nobody can deny that Kobe is a great player. He tried to save the game singlehandedly, and didn't come too far short of succeeding. But he is also about the biggest crybaby ever to wear an NBA uniform. I'm not sure playing for the Lakers is too great a character-building experience. Jack Nicholson's favorite team seems to think the rest of the league owes them victory.

When the Suns were up by seven, as the extra period dwindled down, Lakers fans were ACTUALLY LEAVING THE BUILDING. Boo-hoo-hoo...no glorious victory. Next week, they may need to change the colors on their pom-poms, come right back to the same building and root for the Clippers.

The game last night was actually pretty decently officiated. Maybe the Suns' brass and media made enough noise about the foul stench of favoritism extended, up 'til then, in favor of the Lakers that the league had to show an earnest face. But I have been a Suns fan for thirty-seven years, and I have seen this happen too many times before not to know what's probably up for Game Seven. The Lakers will get away with anything up to -- and probably including -- attempted homicide against us, and we will get in foul trouble if we so much as breathe too hard on Kobe.

I'm sticking with this because (A) After nearly forty years, I'd like to see the Suns go all the way just once, (B) the Lakers have already won enough titles and (C) the WNBA season doesn't get to start until all of this bull-hockey is over. Guess which reason I find most compelling.

3 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Are you going to the games or watching on TV? I've never been to an NBA game and I'm kicking myself for missing the opportunity when I lived near Seattle. Made it to lots of NFL games tho.

Good luck to the Suns! I'm so sick of the Lakers and Kobe. Gahh...

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Lori Heine said...

I'm strictly watching the Suns on TV. When I was a kid, we used to go in person because we always had season tickets. (I was at the first Suns game ever, back in 1968.) But now, they're just too pricey for my blood.

Come WNBA season, though, I will be spending a lot of time in the arena. I've got season tix to the Mercury games.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I trying to develop some interest in the WNBA. I have resisted heretofore because every time I get interested in some new sports league, it goes belly up (USFL, WFL, WBA, etc.). Nevertheless, I think I'll adopt the Seattle Storm even tho' I don't live there anymore. I still adore the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sonics, so it makes sense (to me at least).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home