Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hark...the Thunder of Garlic Approaches...

Well, again, later this week, I'm off to the wild North for the Minnesota Garlic Festival. As garlic is, indeed, a flatulent, those roundabout WILL hear the thunder at least afterwards.

This is the fifth annual occurrence of the event. Every year thus far has been terrific fun, with worthy attractions ranging from the educational to the immensely entertaining. I especially enjoy, of course, getting to see my family again. The middle of August has become, for us, a special time.

I have even learned to embrace garlic ice cream. I have always regarded ice cream, in general, as proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. When it was speckled with tiny chunks of garlic, I was not so certain. However, it has grown on me. Bring on the cones -- I'll eat twelve!

I'll also need to consume at least seven ears of squeaky-fresh, garlic-buttered sweet corn. Seven is my record, but perhaps this year I'll exceed it.

When I have returned from my trip (a working trip this time, as I'm researching an essay on the festival for Liberty magazine), I intend to return this Blog to the consideration of more serious subjects.

But for now, bring on the Maalox, and let the festivities begin!

FESTIVAL FACTS:

Date: Saturday, August 14
Time: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Location: McLeod County Fairgrounds, Hutchinson, Minnesota

Admission: Adults $5, kids under 12 $3, stroller/carried babies free
NO PETS, PLEASE!

This is an all-weather event. Unlike those of us in Phoenix, Minnesotans are prepared for even the most surprising and bizarre eruptions of nature.

For only $10, you can catch the Garlic Express from the Mill City Farmer's Market.

...And if you can't make it this year, circle the second Saturday of August on your calendar next year!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home